11 UNIVERSITÄT UNIVERSITY The Technische Universität Ilmenau has a long tradition in teaching engineers. In 1894 engineers already studied at the privately run Thüringisches Technikum (Thuringian Technical School). With the foundation of the Applied University of Electrical Engineering in 1953, the academic formation of Diploma-Engineers started – and the German academic degree “Dipl.- Ing.” began its global success. In 1956, only one kilometer from the city center, the university campus was set up, and a few years later the university’s course profile was characterized by study programs like Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Electronic Components and Information Engineering. In the following years modern fields in science and technology were opened up, e.g. Micro-electronics and Neuroinformatics, Information and Automation Technology, Plasma and Biomedical Engineering. Soon after the reunification of the two German states, the University of Applied Science was upgraded and turned into a university, and since 1992 TU Ilmenau has been subdivided into five faculties: Electrical Engineering and Information Technology; Computer Science and Automation; Mechanical Engineering; Mathematics and Natural Sciences; Economic Sciences and Media. Only half a year after its new foundation, the news magazine DER SPIEGEL selected TU Ilmenau as “the best university in East Germany“, and in 1998 the university earned an outstanding 6th rank after universities like Cambridge, Oxford or Zurich in the news magazine’s “Uni Test Europe“.
To see the actual publication please follow the link above